Create technologies to increase the impact of WA STEM
This event will bring the region's tech community together for a weekend of creative ideas and execution supporting WA STEM.
With 50,000 unfilled STEM jobs in Washington forecasted by 2025, increased access to STEM education is a high area of focus in this state. Students and parents are always looking for fun and educational STEM activities. However, there is no platform matching young people with high quality STEM activities in their area.
Many non-profits have attempted to address this issue, but the solutions have become to labor intensive and the application becomes stale with very few updates.
At the statewide backbone organization working to achieve equity for all students, Washington STEM looks to leverage a self-sustaining web application that communicates these STEM activities to individuals throughout the state.
By competing in the Hackathon you will be making this a reality for all Washingtonian students!
You also have an opportunity to show students what is possible through technology! High school students from across the region will be in attendance and encouraged to get involved with teams at the event.
More information on WA STEM can be found at www.washingtonstem.org.
- Bring together organizations and individuals to pitch and create tools to further connect WA STEM efforts and create efficiency across the state.
- Increase awareness of WA STEM.
- Build connections across the tech community to foster ongoing collaboration to further WA STEM.
Friday, May 13: Kickoff Happy Hour at Concur
Saturday, May 14 - Sunday, May 15: Hack WA STEM Hackathon
FULL WEEKEND SCHEDULE
Saturday, May 14
10:00am - Hackathon Kickoff
10:30am - Hacking Begins
1:00pm - Lunch
6:00pm - Dinner
11:00pm - Saturday Wrap-Up
Sunday, May 15
8:00am - Hacking Begins
1:00pm - Lunch
3:00pm - Demo sign-up sheet posted, 10-minute time slots available
4:00pm - Demos start
6:00pm (or when demos end) - Judging Commences
6:15pm - Winners Announced
Prizes to Be Added Shortly!
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
- All team participants must be registered before coming onsite.
- To keep things fair, teams are limited to 5 members.
- All are welcome to attend: Technologists, coders, designers, educators, policy makers and anyone else interested in furthering the mission of WA STEM.
- Participants must be individuals over 18 years of age.
- Teams must be affiliated with a company and/or education institution.
All hacks will be presented to judges onsite. Teams will be allotted 10 minute slots and will be judged using the outlined judging criteria.
How to enter
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Monday, May 9th
Prior to the registration deadline, email your team/company name with a list of participants to Katie Bouwkamp at Coding Dojo (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Matt Morgan at WA STEM (email@example.com).
Martin Puryear, Lead Instructor
Lee Lambert, Executive Director, STEM Networks
Solves the Problem